Friday, February 22, 2008

HobbyPrincess - The Craft Manifesto

I've been surfing the net a lot lately, muffled in my wool poncho over my hooded sweatshirt (I still can't get warm! Darn flu!).

Part of the surfing is getting myself ready for a myelogram (yikes! needles in my back again!) - I'm in "panic attack mode" and am trying to distract myself by arming my mind with FACTS, but it's not working. Part of the surfing is for a friend (more about that in a future post). And part of it is collecting crochet patterns (at this point I am just collecting, not crocheting - hmm, I think I see a trend here: I collect fabric but don't sew it, I collect recipes but don't cook, I am re starting my yarn collection to go with the patterns I am collecting...should I mention this to my therapist next week?).

A lot of the surfing is for my newest passion, GENEALOGY, which I am actively pursuing - I already have five 2" binders full of info, and one 6" binder (oops, another collection).

Anyway, HobbyPrincess wrote a piece called "The Craft Manifesto" that can be applied to so many things in our lives that I have outrageously stolen it to include here. I should outrageously steal her blog name too - HobbyPrincess reminds me of another obsession of mine:

This is Hello Kitty in cause you didn't know.

(If you didn't know, you either need to get out more, or surf the net more - keyword: "cuteness".)

Substitute your own passion for the word "craft" and you will see what I mean.

The Craft Manifesto

I’ve been trying to pin down what is driving the increasing popularity
of crafting for a while now. This is what I’ve got so far:
  1. People get satisfaction for being able to create/craft things because they can see themselves in the objects they make. This is not possible in purchased products.

  2. The things that people have made themselves have magic powers.
    They have hidden meanings that other people can’t see.

  3. The things people make they usually want to keep and update.
    Crafting is not against consumption. It is against throwing things
    away.

  4. People seek recognition for the things they have made. Primarily
    it comes from their friends and family. This manifests as an economy of gifts.

  5. People who believe they are producing genuinely cool things seek
    broader exposure for their products. This creates opportunities for alternative publishing channels.

  6. Work inspires work. Seeing what other people have made generates new ideas and designs.

  7. Essential for crafting are tools, which are accessible, portable, and easy to learn.

  8. Materials become important. Knowledge of what they are made of
    and where to get them becomes essential.

  9. Recipes become important. The ability to create and distribute
    interesting recipes becomes valuable.

  10. Learning techniques brings people together. This creates online
    and offline communities of practice.

  11. Craft-oriented people seek opportunities to discover interesting
    things and meet their makers. This creates marketplaces.

  12. At the bottom, crafting is a form of play.

Stay warm. Go craft. cac

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, this is Theresa from the Brooklyn list...my stupid email thing would not reply properly, so I followed your link to thank you for sending me the census image.!

Thank you!

Theresa

Projetor said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Projetores, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://projetor-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.