Saturday, May 3, 2008

Watch out world - Cathy's back and feeling WONDERFUL!

I can't believe that it's been over a month since I last posted! So much has happened that even though I've been pretty much home bound since my back surgery - YES, I went through with it! - that I feel like I've been in a time warp.

All I can say is that Armond Levy, neurosurgeon extraordinaire,

R O C K S !

To make a long story short, what my doc thought would be a two hour surgery turned into three because I had so many problems that were interlinked in my spine; he decided to fix everything he could instead of subjecting me to another surgery. Just correcting part at that time wouldn't give me any noticeable improvement because the compressed discs turned out to be herniated after all, and the slipped disc was wedged out of place with a lot of boney overgrowth which kept peeking out everywhere........so he fixed it all!

The first three hours postop were worst than childbirth, but as I got used to THINKING about the physical mechanics our bodies go through to do just the simple things that we take for granted, like leaning down to scratch your calf, or blowing your nose (ouch!), or COUGHING - and learning to think before I moved - it got more tolerable. Of course, the two Percocet I was taking every five hours didn't hurt!

If anyone out there has a bad back, GO TO A NEUROSURGEON! It is simply miraculous what they can do now. Everything is done microscopically through small incisions instead of slicing you open from neck to tailbone.

My surgery was on April 17; today I have a three inch scar on my back just under my waistline which is a small price to pay for practically PAIN FREE WALKING! I was able to drive after just one week, was off of all pain meds four days after that (and I've been living on Percocet for the past six months) and visited two of my favorite thrift shops IN A ROW before I was starting to "feel the burn" of the old back and leg pain. I've gone out each day and walked in our wonderful spring weather and was able to enjoy it!


I'm facing eight to twelve weeks of physical therapy to strengthen my back muscles and lengthen my leg muscles now that they aren't held captive in a web of bone. I've gone once already for an evaluation (that did me in for the day) but it's a small price to pay for what I consider a new lease on life!
Today I feel excited about life! I feel bouncy in my spirit and look forward to all the things I'll be able to DO without PAIN!

Maybe now I'll actually clean my house.

Or NOT.

I've got a lot of life to catch up with!



No comments: